Australian kids, your report card is in, and it’s not good news!
Since 2014 Active Healthy Kids Australia have been assessing 12 physical activity indicators in children from 0 to 17 years, releasing a biannual report. This year, for the 3rd year in a row, Australia has been given a failing grade of D- for Overall Physical Activity Levels, and ranks 32nd out of 49 countries compared!
Physical activity and exercise during childhood and adolescence is paramount for the development of strong muscles and bones, coordination, body awareness and can reduce the risk of developing chronic disease in adulthood.
Some of the stats:
– 18% of children aged 12-15 years engaged in the recommended 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity daily, with that percentage dropping in 6% of 15-17 year old’s.
– 54-65% of primary-aged children were having more than the recommended 2 hours of screen time per day, and 85% of secondary-aged children using screens for more than 2 hours a day
– 9-15 year old Australians fall into the 35th percentile for aerobic and muscular endurance
– Grade 6 boys and girls exhibits low levels of mastery for fundamental locomotive skills such as running, jumping, hopping & kicking
So what can we do to get our kids moving?
– Make moving part of family time – maybe a family trip to the pool, walking the dog or playing soccer or cricket in the backyard
– Time it right – find a time of day when your child is full of beans and find a way to burn some energy
– Motivate children to move – track progress and offer rewards
– Encourage them!
If you or your children need some advice and support to increase your physical activity levels, seek a FREE assessment with out Exercise Physiologists. They are experts in exercise and can help you develop a plan to get active, get healthy and reduce your risk of developing of significant health problems. They are available in Woolgoolga, Moonee, Toormina and Urunga – spreading exercise across the Coffs Coast.
Are YOU in Pain? Is an Injury Limiting YOUR Quality of Life? Are YOU Not...View Service
Are YOU scared to exercise? Not sure what exercise is going to be safe and...View Service
Are YOU feeling tight and sore? Is stress taking a physical toll on YOU? It’s...View Service
Mid North Coast Physiotherapy brings together over 50 years of experience in the health and wellbeing industry to provide you with the best possible client experience.
Health Tips, News and Special Offers Delivered straight to your inbox.